[LAD] youtube blocks LAC 2017 May 18 AM

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Mon May 22 09:54:53 UTC 2017

On 2017-05-22 11:32, Louigi Verona wrote:
> YouTube does act on specific right holders complaints. I know this as a
> fact. You can go to any video and complain. Many YT vbloggers, including
> quite prominent ones, complain.

i was not doubting that they do. sorry if you perceived it like that.

i was doubting that in this specific instance, 3 days after some obscure
conference put up a video of some random talk¹, any real copyright
holder would have actually filed a copyright complaint (or even taken
notice of the upload).

most likely the "Institut National de l'Audiovisuel" has previously
filed a generic "protect my content" request with youtube.
and most likely thierry used material in his keynote that can *also* be
found in the INA archives (note: i don't know whether it as actually
thierry's talk that triggered the block; i just think that it is rather
likely that this is the case).

i'm CCing laurent and thierry, so they can sort out whether there
actually are any copyright violations before they reject the coypright
claims.

fgmsdr
IOhannes

¹ no insults intended, this is just to put things into relations as
perceived outside our peer group. cf mclaren vs toyota.