[LAD] Jack buffer requirements

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Thu Sep 14 17:40:37 UTC 2017

JACK has no requirements other than that you can run your process()
callback without blocking, every time.

How much buffering needs to exist to make sure that can happen depends
hugely on what the non-RT part of things is doing. For comparison, when the
non-RT part does disk i/o, you need to be ready for potentially several
seconds of delay in refilling (or emptying) buffers.  If the disk i/o
wasn't there, the buffering requirements would be much smaller.