[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Updates

Ralf Mattes r.mattes at mh-freiburg.de
Sun Aug 26 14:49:55 CEST 2018

Am Sonntag, 26. August 2018 13:07 CEST, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> schrieb:

> On Sun, Aug 26, 2018 at 12:21:53PM +0200, Ralf Mattes wrote:
>
> > Am Sonntag, 26. August 2018 11:24 CEST, Fons Adriaensen <fons at linuxaudio.org> schrieb:
> >

> > > That is what pkgconf --cflags freetype2 is supposed to do.
> > > Could you be using an older version of freetype ? It used to have its
> > > own config command which was removed and replaced by using pkgconf
> > > in recent releases. This was one of the reasons to review all of
> > > the Makefiles.
> >
> > Hmm - are you shure that program is called 'pkgconf'? If we are talking about that freedesktop.org
> > program (https://www.freedesktop.org/wiki/Software/pkg-config/) that tends to be called 'pkg-config' ...
>
> For more info on pkgconf, see <https://github.com/pkgconf/pkgconf>.
>
> I seem to have both pkgconf and pkg-config, and on Archlinux both
> are even provided by the same package.
>
> I used pkgconf as suggested by an Archlinux packager. Don't know
> if this is the best choice to support other distros.

No, it's not. At least the Debian/Ubuntu/Mint-ish distros depend on pkg-config. I'm pretty shure the
same is true for Redhat/Fedora/Centos do so as well, and, at least according to the SuSE RPM guide they
expect pkg-config as well (after all, it is the standard established byfreedesktop.org).
As far as I remember the pkgconf developers suggest to create a symlink linking pkgconf to pkg-config
(IMHO a replacement tool shoud do this as a default).

> Anyway, all that is required is -I/usr/include/freetype2 and maybe
> that is what I should use. Comments invited.

Please don't. IIRC correctly there was a time when I needed to compile aoelus et al. with a self-compiled/installed
freetype (living under /usr/local). With that pkg-config invocation everything works as expected (as long
as I keep my  PKG_CONFIG_PATH correct). With your hard-coded values I'd need to patch the Makefiles.

 Cheers, RalfD