[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Update

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Tue Aug 28 17:37:26 CEST 2018

Am Dienstag, 28. August 2018 16:37 CEST, David Runge <dave at sleepmap.de> schrieb:

> On 2018-08-27 21:23:47 (+0200), Christopher Arndt wrote:

> > > No, it's not.

> > > Please don't.
> >
> > Agree on both accounts. Just use 'pkg-config' like everybody else.
> I don't.

You seem to confuse two things here: pkgconf, the api compatible alternative to pkg-config, and
pkgconf, the name of the program that provides pkg-config information to shell scripts and makefiles.

Since pkgconf's sole purpose is the replacement of the original pkg-config implementation giving the
binary a different name seems questionable.
It's like writing a make-replacement and calling it murks and then expect the rest of the world to
change their build systems. That takes a lot of hubris/ego ...

> pkgconf [1] is a valid replacement of pkg-config (by implementing it
> with even more features and better .pc handling) and available on many,
> if not all, distros (e.g. [2] [3] [4]). In some it is even the default
> by now.

And they call the binary 'pkgconf'? I' impressed.

> Additionally, this is all better, than relying on a convenience layer
> hack job, such as the `freetype-config` script (that should've never
> even been part of pkg-config to begin with).

Who was talking about freetype-config?

 Cheers, RalfD