[LAD] Capturing MIDI from Windows program running under Wine?

Clemens Ladisch clemens at ladisch.de
Fri Jun 15 13:24:38 CEST 2018

Jacek Konieczny wrote:
> On 2018-06-14 22:14, Clemens Ladisch wrote:
>> Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>> I'd like to monitor, what MIDI data the application is sending to the
>>> device.
>>
>> Does Wine use sequencer ports?  Then you could configure the snd-seq-dummy
>> module to use duplex ports, tell the editor to use that, and connecte the
>> other ends to the actual port.  You can then use aseqdump to monitor the
>> ports.
>
> Unfortunately wine opens the MIDI sequencer ports with no permissions to
> change their connections (with aconnect or qjackctl) – I have learned
> that when trying to to some other wine MIDI magic.

This is why I suggested snd-seq-dummy; Wine does _not_ use exclusive
connections, so you can add your own connections:

 +------+     +---------+ +---------+     +------+
 | WINE |---->| Through |>| Through |---->| USB  |
                   v           v
                aseqdump    aseqdump

(Without the Through port, you could monitor only data coming from
the device.)

Regards,
Clemens