[LAD] Polyphonic normal guitar to midi: Jam Origins' MIDI-Guitar

Tim termtech at rogers.com
Fri Jun 29 21:13:49 CEST 2018

On 06/26/2018 04:25 PM, Tim wrote:

> On 06/26/2018 03:55 PM, Hans Wilmers wrote:
>> On 06/26/2018 08:32 PM, Spencer Jackson wrote:
>>>

>>> I don't know of anyone really working on polyphonic pitch recognition in
>>> the open source world. I think Bayesian filtering of some kind though
>>> would be compelling. Perhaps some of the work from ISSE
>>> (http://isse.sourceforge.net/) could be used and made realtime.
>>>

>> There is a SuperCollider plugin by Nick Collins called PolyPitch, which
>> does what the name suggests.
>> The source is GPL, and available here:
>> https://composerprogrammer.com/code.html
>>
>> / Hans
>
>  From Klapuri, "Multipitch analysis of polyphonic music and
>   speech signals using an auditory model", from PolyPitch:
>
> "The  method  consists  of  a computational model of the
>   human auditory periphery, followed by a periodicity analysis
>   mechanism where fundamental frequencies are iteratively
>   detected and canceled from the mixture signal."
>
> Wow. That seems much different than all the other papers I read.
> Wonder how well it works, especially if applied to guitar.
>
> It sort of reminds me of how I once was part of Sony's rollout of
>   Surround Retrieval System technology.
> It was TV surround speakers modeled based on human hearing,
>   to make one pair of these speakers simulate a truer surround.
>
> Tim.

Of the dozens of papers referenced by that, this one caught my eye:

"Fundamental frequency estimation of musical signals using a
  two-way mismatch procedure"

https://pdfs.semanticscholar.org/c94b/56f21f32b3b7a9575ced317e3de9b2ad9081.pdf

IIUC this may be more in line with how this real product works.

I'm having a bit of a tough time with SC. Never used it before.
First the packages in SUSE were broken, so I built from source.
Now I can run the SC IDE and so on without errors. OK.
Next, I had to really hack the PolyPitch cmake file to
  get it to install. OK.

But now what? I can't seem to run any examples. Some complain of
  unexpected/unrecognized words, some complain of asking for
  Mac Cocoa. Seems some stuff was built on Mac, like PolyPitch.

Any quick tips appreciated before I might pester the SC crowd.

Thanks.
Tim.