[LAD] So in 2019, which plugin "format"?

Robin Gareus robin at gareus.org
Mon Nov 26 00:03:46 CET 2018

https://distrho.github.io/DPF/ -- https://github.com/DISTRHO/DPF

> Back in the day I wrote some using DSSI, which was a model I was pretty
> comfortable with.  I had a look at LV2 but couldn't work out how to
> generate the huge incomprehensible non-human-readable "ttl" files.

I thought you didn't want a flame-war? :)
How are they not human-readable? They're nice semantic triplets.

Anyway, you could use DPF to auto-generate the file for you.

> Where does the world stand now?

I don't know about 2019, but in 2018 LV2 still sucks least of the
available options.

In 2019, perhaps VST3 may become an alternative, but right now Bitwig is
the only Linux host to support it, and the VST-GUI API for Linux is also
still in flux.

ciao,
robin

PS. you could /steal/ some GPL code from e.g. zyn-fusion or helm.
The former uses DPF, the latter a patched JUCE to export LV2, both also
offer VST2 as alternative.