[LAD] Open Source Design (paid and pro bono design)

Ralf Mardorf ralf.mardorf at alice-dsl.net
Thu Nov 29 19:10:26 CET 2018

On Thu, 2018-11-29 at 18:02 +0100, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> On 29/11/2018 17.32, Louigi Verona wrote:
> > Interesting that on their goals page they never mention "users" or
> > "customers". So how are they going to understand what works if users are
> > never consulted?
>
> That's clearly up to every single project. So from the point of view of
> "Open Source Design", the question is what works or doesn't work
> regarding designer involvement and designer-developer interaction.

An issue advertising agencies know is the medium-sized business customer
of the advertising agencies who already has got an idea. "My wife likes
red pullovers and penguins. The logo for my power drill company should
contain a penguin wearing a red pullover." The advertising agencies try
to explain that the logo should represent the power drills and perhaps
something else, maybe environmental sustainability or what ever is up to
date, but there's no chance, if the wife of the customer likes red
pullovers and penguins.
At least the https://opensourcedesign.net job offers come with this
issue, too, see
https://design.blog.documentfoundation.org/2017/06/28/competition-libreoffice-mascot/,
the mailing list already knows what they like and every Tom, Dick and
Harry has some bikeshedding to contribute.

Regarding software development the users' needs are important, regarding
logo design the designers are the experts and nobody else. Big companies
usually know this.