[LAD] OSC

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Tue Sep 11 19:08:40 CEST 2018

On Tue, 11 Sep 2018, David Runge wrote:

> On 2018-09-10 19:32:52 (-0400), Mark D. McCurry wrote:
>> On 09-09, Christopher Arndt wrote:
>>> I'd definitely be interested in helping OSC staying relevant.
>>
>> I don't have much time to contribute at this point, though it would be
>> great to know that some effort is being put into at least maintaining
>> the existing information on the standard as well as what implementation
>> are available for applications to use.
> I guess a good first starting point is to contact the former maintainers
> and get them involved (and to notify them about the website status -
> maybe it needs a new home?).
>
> Guess it would also be nice to find out what the motivations behind
> abandoning 1.1 were.

The site is run by a university. They or some of their students were the
original maintainers. however, it seems the funding for OSC work has been
removed. The original site has been left intact but some of the links were
to personal web pages of students. As no one bothered to move these
documents onto the OSC site proper, those documents were lost when these
students pages were deleted (when the students left the school and started
working?). So lost rather than abandoned may be more reasonable, though
the difference is probably arguable :)

I would guess the first thing would be to clone what is there so that at
least that doesn't get "lost".

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net