[LAD] should JACK programs autostart the server?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Thu Sep 20 18:53:20 CEST 2018

On Thu, 20 Sep 2018, bill-auger wrote:

> the debian maintainer of freewheeling suggested that it should
> autostart the server if it is not running (change JackNoStartServer to
> JackNullOption)
>
> i have my opinion; but i am interested in others

In my opinion jack should never start itself. I spend more time on irc
helping people "killall -9 jackd jackdbus" than just about anything else.
It is a slick idea but in practice it causes more trouble than it's worth.

Setting up jack to be my audio device (starts at session start) has been
the least trouble.

While advertized as help for newbys, in the end this is an advanced option
only useful for those who understand jackd well... default off makes the
most sense.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net