[LAD] should JACK programs autostart the server?

Nikita Zlobin cook60020tmp at mail.ru
Thu Sep 20 20:28:55 CEST 2018

In Thu, 20 Sep 2018 03:30:31 +0000
bill-auger <bill-auger at peers.community> wrote:

> the debian maintainer of freewheeling suggested that it should
> autostart the server if it is not running (change JackNoStartServer to
> JackNullOption)
>
> i have my opinion; but i am interested in others
>

> https://sources.debian.org/src/freewheeling/0.6.4-1/debian/patches/060_jackstart.diff/

It's not a subject to be hated or must have, as depends on exact
situation. I made setup with desktop JACK setup, similar to kxstudio,
but different - pulseaudio constantly hangs runing with only jackdbus
module for audio devices, so when jackdbus needs to be shutdown, pulse
is over there, awaiting with nullsink for next jack run. But with
periodically runing jack - autostart would be handy, just to save a
couple of seconds, allowing to simply launch app, without worrying
about jack status.

From Rui Nuno Capella:
> b. legacy jackd *do* auto-start exactly what's in "~/.jackdrc" file;
> fwiw. i do have this "/absolute/path/to/qjackctl --start" in there,
> so that qjackctl pops up whenever a(ny) jack client application is
> called ;) (*)

Last time i tried to argue about libjack ability to use jack via dbus
if available, i was unaware about what ~/.jackdrc allowes - would be
strange, to open qjackctk settings and... write "/usr/bin/qjackctl" to
command line :)