[LAD] New(ish) OSS synth plugin

Kjetil Matheussen k.s.matheussen at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 15:07:01 CEST 2018

Daniel Swärd:

> Hi all.
>
> Just found out that one of the Bitwig devs has released an older (commercial)
> project of his as open source: https://github.com/kurasu/surge
>
> Doesn't yet build on Linux, but quoting from the github page:
> "It currently only builds on windows, but getting it to build on macOS again &
> Linux should be doable with moderate effort."
>
> How about we get it building at the next Berlin LAU meeting?

I took a quick procrastination-shot at it:
https://github.com/kmatheussen/surge

(first copy various VST directories into the build)
premake5 gmake
make surge-vst2 verbose=1 -j8

ldd -r target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so
undefined symbol: _ZN6VSTGUI8soHandleE  (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol:
_ZN3Gtk11FileChooser18set_current_folderERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE
      (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol: _ZNK3Gdk11DragContext12list_targetsB5cxx11Ev
(target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol:
_ZN4Glib7ustringC1ERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE
    (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol:
_ZN12SurgeStorage11load_wt_wavENSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEEP9Wavetable
       (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol: __cpuid       (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol:
_ZN3Gtk11CssProvider14load_from_dataERKNSt7__cxx1112basic_stringIcSt11char_traitsIcESaIcEEE
  (target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol: _Z19spawn_miniedit_textPci
(target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)
undefined symbol: _ZNK3Gtk11FileChooser13get_filenamesB5cxx11Ev
(target/vst2/Debug/Surge-Debug.so)

So, a little bit work left, but maybe it's enough to link with a newer
version of
gtkmm than I did.

Don't know how well VSTGUI works on linux though. Using
gtkmm as the underlying GUI to implement VSTGUI on top of
seems worrying.