[LAD] 'A' note Tuning Range

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Wed Apr 10 15:59:55 CEST 2019

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 23:23:54 +0200
<linux at justmail.de> wrote:

>Without doubts it should be 440 Hz +- 50 Cent.
>
>+- 50 Cents is what the meter of the BOSS TU-12H chromatic tuner
>displays and what you'll find for other software synth, such as e.g.
>iSymphonic. The BOSS meter's Hz labelling is from 430 Hz to 450 Hz and
>the Hz labelling of iSymphonic from 428 Hz to 452 Hz. IOW the
>Cent labelling range from - 50 Cent to + 50 Cent is a little bit more
>than the HZ labelling range from 428 Hz or 430 Hz to 450 Hz or 452 Hz.

Thanks everyone for your comments. There seems to be a general consensus (and
elsewhere too) so I'll check nobody actually *is* using extreme settings for
some reason, and maybe tame it down a bit.

As an aside, doing further reading it seems most authorities consider 5 cents to
be about the limit for people to detect pitch change (lots of caveats of
course) yet Scala example files have figures with 10^-6 cents, and Yoshimi
has 10^-6 :o

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.