[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? 'A' note Tuning Range

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Wed Apr 10 18:55:34 CEST 2019

Am Mittwoch, 10. April 2019 18:38 CEST, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> schrieb:

> On Wed, 10 Apr 2019, Will J Godfrey wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 23:23:54 +0200
> > <linux at justmail.de> wrote:
> >
> >> Without doubts it should be 440 Hz +- 50 Cent.
> >
> > Thanks everyone for your comments. There seems to be a general consensus (and
> > elsewhere too) so I'll check nobody actually *is* using extreme settings for
> > some reason, and maybe tame it down a bit.
>
> For tuning, anything greater than half way between semitones can be
> acheived with transpose. Or, to put it another way, if you need to detune
> by that much, you are really playing in a different key.

Hmm, no. You are mixing up frequency with pitch class. (Ab)using transposition for changing
pitch only works for equal temprament (but OP referes to Scala tunings).
Even in my rather limited world of baroque music playing I've used: 440, 415 (modern pseudo-baroque),
432, 392 (french low), 456 (high Venetian), 517 ...
That has nothing whatsoever todo with transposition.

Just my 0.2 $

 Cheers, RalfD