[LAD] 'A' note Tuning Range

John Rigg ladev9 at jrigg.co.uk
Thu Apr 11 17:33:38 CEST 2019

On Thu, Apr 11, 2019 at 12:17:58PM +0200, linux at justmail.de wrote:
> On Thu, 2019-04-11 at 08:37 +0100, Will J Godfrey wrote:
> > On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 08:16:29 +0000
> > John Rigg <ladev9 at jrigg.co.uk> wrote:
> > > A Korg GA-1 tuner can go down to 5 semitones flat. It's quite common
> > > in the heavier styles of rock music to downtune a few semitones.
> > Interesting. Thanks for that.
>
> Assuming the guitar tuner is a chromatic tuner, dropped and lowered
> guitar tunings don't require anything else than A = 440 Hz and if you
> dislike 440Hz a range from + half of a semitone (+50 cent) to - half of
> a semitone (-50 Cent).
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guitar_tunings#Dropped
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_guitar_tunings#Lowered

That's all very well, but tuning quickly on stage in a live gig
is lot easier if your tuner goes down to the right pitch with
minimal fuss. (Speaking from long experience as gigging guitarist
and bassist).

The GA-1 tuner I mentioned isn't a true chromatic tuner, but
its ability to shift the standard guitar tunings down several
semitones is very useful. In modern metal genres C or B tunings
are probably more common than the standard EADGBE, so this isn't
just an edge case.

John