[LAD] You couldn't make it up

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Jan 8 20:00:02 CET 2019

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 09:00:16 -0800 (PST)
Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> wrote:

>On Mon, 7 Jan 2019, Jonathan E. Brickman wrote:
>
>> How about 32bit with 384kHz sampling?  Boxes like these are starting to spring
>> up.
>>
>> https://www.amazon.com/GUSTARD-U12-384KHz-Digital-Interface/dp/B00PU3R6KY
>
>That box is output only. That seems to be quite common.... that is there
>is a consummer interest for output boxes but only niche interest for input
>or i/o boxes. Input boxes of good quality will cost more as it is easy to
>build the low gain output analog circuitry but much harder to build high
>gain, high quality, linear, controlable (with accuracy) input circuitry.
>For a scope, knowing the exact level at each gain position is pretty
>important.
>
>--
>Len Ovens
>www.ovenwerks.net

I was afraid it would be too good the be true :(

You're quite right that the linearity needs to be good and at high gain,
however I'd be inclined to use a passive 20dB per step attenuator on the front
to maintain a good overload margin.

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.