[LAD] ?==?utf-8?q? Potential MIDI headaches?

Ralf Mattes rm at mh-freiburg.de
Sat Jan 19 22:43:02 CET 2019

Am Samstag, 19. Januar 2019 22:26 CET, Len Ovens <len at ovenwerks.net> schrieb:
> In my experience as a musician, I meet a lot of
> piano players for whom the difference bewteen MIDI 1 and MIDI 2 is just a
> number (like 192k ADC) and would not affect their performance. However, I have
> not met very many keyboard artists aside from those who work from their bedroom
> and who's music I only hear on youtube, soundcloud, etc. I do not know how much
> difference MIDI 2 would make for most of these people either. Epecially
> concidering how many of them use either their qwerty kb to enter notes or a one
> or two octave unit without even velocity...
>
> In fact MIDI 2 seems to be a thing mostly for non-kb instruments or computer
> generated material (most of which is probably using CV instead of MIDI anyway).

Well, it all depends :-)
I my world there's a group of users for whose field  standard MIDI just does'nt work: teaching
and researching professional piano playing. The main obstacle is (the missing) velocity/volume/attack speed
resolution. So our teachers and researchers need to use the partly-proprietary Yamaha Disklavier.
So,for them, a modern MIDI 2 is appreciated.

 Cheers, RalfD