[LAD] MIDI 2.0 is coming

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Wed Jan 30 08:56:05 CET 2019

On Tue, 29 Jan 2019, Kevin Cole wrote:

> Never one to fear displaying my ignorance / laziness...
>
> In my limited readings, I had gotten the vague impression that OSC was sort of
> MIDI 2.0.  Does MIDI 2.0 incorporate OSC or will they remain two distinct paths?

Certainly OSC is a step beyond MIDI 1.0. But it has never been backwards
compatable with MIDI 1.0 and does not try to negotiate for OSC and fall
back to MIDI if it can't. OSC has next to no standards beyond transport
which might explain its failure in the commercial world. Each OSC
application makes up it's own set of commands. MIDI 2.0 still has a large
number of predefined commands... larger than midi 1.0.

However, the biggest reason it is not midi 2.0 is that it was not released
by MMA...

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net