[LAD] jack meterbridge 0.9.2 update / maintenance

Will J Godfrey WillGodfrey at musically.me.uk
Mon Jul 29 20:51:06 CEST 2019

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 11:21:39 -0700 (MST)
Stephan Bourgeois <stephanb2 at hotmail.com> wrote:

>Hi there,
>
>I have been tinkering with Steve Harris' meterbridge 0.9.2 for jack.
>cf. https://github.com/stephanb2/jack-meterbridge
>
>1. Refactored global variables so that the code builds on Debian 9.2.
>2. Improved (?) the dpm IEC scale and ballistics.
>3. Changed the PPM ballistics to use Fons Adriaensen's JMeters algorithm.
>
>I do however have a deeper question: what is the point of jack meterbridge?
>Given that the broadcast and podcast industry has moved to EBU-R128 and
>Ebumeter offers EBU R-128 metering. JMeters offers "nostalgia" PPM and VU
>meters with correct ballistics, more options, better graphics. The only
>thing missing would be a 4x oversampling true peak meter.
>
>Should meterbridge be maintained or should another metering app de bundled
>with jack?
>
>Note that I am not a C engineer, my background is Java and Python. Please
>send code review comments and shout if you see anything horrific.
>
>Let me know your thoughts.
>Cheers,
>Stephan.

I use it all the time. It is simple, clear and runs well in a standalone
environment. It also acts as a useful summing point. One's ears are the final
arbiter but this is very helpful.

I will check out your build as soon as I have some free time (whatever that is!)

--
It wasn't me! (Well actually, it probably was)

... the hard part is not dodging what life throws at you,
but trying to catch the good bits.