[LAD] Resampling: SOX vs FFmpeg

Louigi Verona louigi.verona at gmail.com
Thu May 23 10:58:54 CEST 2019

Hey everyone!

I need advice on resampling.

To give you context, I am working at SoundCloud, and one of the current
projects is to refactor the transcoding pipeline. And proper resampling
tools is a question that keeps coming up.

One of the pipelines takes the uploaded file and transcodes it into an mp3.
The general idea is to convert the original file to wav, resample it to
44100, and then finally convert it to mp3 using LAME.

There are several questions here.

1. Which tool to use for transcoding. Should it be SoX, or FFmpeg, or
something else? A lot of the info out there seems to favor SoX, but a lot
of that info is pretty old.

2. Does it make sense to resample to 44100 or to 48000? If it were opus,
the answer if simple: 48000, because that's what the opus spec actually
recommends. There is no such recommendation for mp3 files. Also, upsampling
is not an innocent procedure and the converter has to be of high quality as
well.

p.s.: the described pipeline is not the only one, the original file is
transcoded into multiple formats, including formats with 48000 sample rate,
but the one I am asking about focuses specifically on producing an mp3.

Louigi Verona
https://louigiverona.com/