[LAD] 9 soundcards ?

Paul Davis paul at linuxaudiosystems.com
Mon Nov 11 20:36:36 CET 2019

On Mon, Nov 11, 2019 at 12:26 PM <lacuna_ at gmx.net> wrote:

> Hello,
>

> * I'd like to run up to nine soundcards with Jack. *
>
> Eight times Expert Sleepers ES-8 via USB
> and one RME Madi HDSPe card on a PCIe slot.
>
> In Linux at 96 kilobauds.
>
> I read here
> https://jackaudio.org/faq/multiple_devices.html
> about clocking issues as each card is run by it's own clock.
>
> *Will the asynchronously clocked streams be handled and merged by Jack or
> is this an ongoing issue? *

JACK2 (the one most commonly installed on Linux systems) can't do this by
itself (for now)

You would use an instance of zita_a2j to connect each "secondary" card to
the JACK server which is using the "master" card. zita_a2j will resample as
needed to keep things in sync.

JACK1 can do this by itself because it has zita_a2j built in. However, it
is a slightly older version of zita_a2j and I discovered recently that it
doesn't handle xruns as well as the current zita_a2j.

> I imagine, if I'd feed analog outputs of one card into the analog inputs
> of another, this wouldn't be ideal.
> But I am wondering if Jack is handling the asynchronous streams in the
> software-domain without glitches ect. ?
>
> *With a powerful computer is the latency going to rise absurdly high? Any
> experience with this? *

Number of cards has nothing to do with latency directly. "Servicing" each
card will consume some of the time available for audio processing. How much
is hard to say, but with mid-size buffer sizes, I would not guess that it
will be too large.  Since you are not sharing word clock, they will drift
and zita_a2j will have to do resampling, which will also consume some CPU
cycles.