[LAD] Jack audio questions to aid in my development of audiorack

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Sat Nov 16 23:12:49 CET 2019

On Sat, Nov 16, 2019 at 02:47:26PM -0700, Ethan Funk wrote:

> 1. With the low-latency kernel, jack dropouts/underruns are a problem
> when jack is configured to bridge to pulseaudio.  Without a pulseaudio
> bridge, the dropout are nonexistent.

I'd suggest to get rid of pulseaudio. It doesn't do anything useful
for an application like yours.

> 2. I have a similar issue with zita-a2j and zita-j2a with lost of
> dropouts on the ALAS side, even though the jack side shows no overruns.

How does this show up (i.e. how do you know it is the ALSA side) ?
What do you get with the -v option ?

> Can extra buffering be applied to the zita programs?  Maybe that is
> what the -n option is for?

Using more periods could hide the problem, but it's never a real
solution.

Are you sure things are running with real-time scheduling ?
This requires some configuration in /etc/security/limits.conf,
as well as for Jack itself.

Why do you need zita-a2j/j2a anyway ? Using a single multichannel
card is usually the better solution.

Ciao,

--
FA