[LAD] 100% Open Source Music

Thomas Brand tom at trellis.ch
Fri Oct 25 15:41:44 CEST 2019

On 2019-10-24 01:06, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey everyone!
>
> My music "career" started with mod music. Nope, not the music and
> fashion
> subculture from the late 1950s, but this mod music
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Module_file>, when people used programs
> called "trackers" to produce stuff. It was either this or buying
> expensive
> hardware.
>
> Although people associate MOD music scene mostly with chiptunes, it was
> much more than that, and has its own pantheon of musical gods
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_chart&query=topartists>
> who
> produced tracks ranging from synth pop
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=35280>
> jazz
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=135135>,
> from orchestral
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=120901>
> realistic folk instrumentals
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_by_moduleid&query=155605>.
> Immersed in this music, I severed my link to the mainstream idea of
> songs
> with their standard verse/chorus, and endless drivel about
> relationships.
> That link has not been restored. My mind was opened to music that was
> so
> unlike anything I'd heard before that it felt a bit like walking
> through
> that door in the wall. (Is this H.G. Wells reference
> <https://www.encyclopedia.com/education/news-wires-white-papers-and-books/door-wall>
> too obscure? :) )
>
> My heroes were Elwood, DRAX, Awesome. Who even knows these names? I
> once
> created a Wikipedia page for Elwood and it stayed up for many years,
> but
> recently I discovered that it was removed. And yet Elwood
> <https://modarchive.org/index.php?request=view_artist_modules&query=69004>
> is a legendary musician and producer in the MOD scene, who has inspired
> and
> awed several generations of fellow tracker musicians.
>
> Some names have gotten enough traction to stay on Wikipedia. Purple
> Motion
> <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonne_Valtonen> is one clear example.
> Several producers, famous today, started out using trackers. Here is
> an incomplete
> list <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Tracker_musicians>. It
> mostly
> lacks artists who made their names in the tracking scene, but did not
> become notable outside of it.
>

> It's been a while since I went on a nostalgia tour, but due to my
> recent
> project of putting out an album of old tunes called "Only Slightly
> Embarrassing"
> [...]
Thanks for this overview Luigi, that's nostalgia at its best!
Another blessed artist from the time was Frédéric Motte (Moby).
Check the tune "Knulla Kuk", still sounds amazing given only 4 channels.
I've tons of Amiga Disks (Sample Disks named ST-01 ... ) and Modules
archived. If anybody has the tools to read them back and eventually
convert to 21st century, I'd happily provide these disks.
Greetings from an 1992 "The assembly" attendee :)