[LAD] A question to plugin host devs

Hermann Meyer brummer- at web.de
Sun Dec 20 20:03:34 CET 2020

Am 20.12.20 um 19:41 schrieb Robin Gareus:
> Why keep it around?

Guitarix is a host aimed to live performance. For performance reasons we
wont load a plugin on preset switch. So, all plugs which may be used
during a session been loaded already and been keep in memory. Other
plugs, which are not announced cant be used without explicitly load them
into the rack.

Still, we don't use RTLD_NODELETE (and can't see a benefit on using it)

> In the distant past, Ardour (really libsuil) used NODELETE for LV2 GUIs.
> https://lv2plug.in/ns/extensions/ui#makeSONameResident
> but that is no longer the case since the option was deprecated.

Wasn't that more related to the underlying libs used by plugin GUI's
from the time were using shared toolkit lib's was supported (and
pronounced) by the LV2 specs? So that the host don't unload for example
the gtk lib's when a plugin which use it was unloaded, but a other one,
which may use it as well, still is loaded?