[LAD] Looking for interested developer - TonePrint editor & TC Electronic Plethora X5

Sam Kuper sampablokuper at posteo.net
Thu May 28 18:45:30 CEST 2020

On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 09:02:36AM -0700, Mark Knecht wrote:
> On Thu, May 28, 2020 at 8:12 AM Sam Kuper wrote:
> [..] Being a hardware guy myself I'd be more interested in starting
> from scratch but your link to ModDevices suggests an easier starting
> place than designing my own hardware.

You might like this thread ("Do any Guitar pedal makers offer Linux
support?"): https://linuxmusicians.com/viewtopic.php?f=48&t=20284

Also: https://blokas.io/pisound/  (Only 12-bit ADC/DAC, though.)

>> I wonder how the Windows software communicates with the X5, though.
>> That's not obvious from the lsusb output.  A reverse engineer might
>> need to intercept/sniff the USB traffic between the X5 and a Windows
>> host to figure that out.
>
> I set up WireShark as it's reported to sniff USB. Under Linux I got
> some packets. Under Windows I haven't made much progress yet but it's
> early days.

It may help to run your Windows instance not on bare metal but in a VM
(e.g. under GNU/Linux with KVM; or Xen; or maybe even just Qemu or
VirtualBox).  I believe this should let you use the host OS to
inspect/sniff the USB traffic being sent between the guest OS and the
USB device.  This sort of thing:

https://wiki.wireshark.org/CaptureSetup/USB

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/117474/how-to-sniff-a-usb-port-under-windows

https://www.earth.li/~noodles/blog/2012/10/kvm-usbmon-wireshark-win.html

https://www.devalias.net/devalias/2018/05/13/usb-reverse-engineering-down-the-rabbit-hole/

Good luck!

--
A: When it messes up the order in which people normally read text.
Q: When is top-posting a bad thing?

()  ASCII ribbon campaign. Please avoid HTML emails & proprietary
/\  file formats. (Why? See e.g. https://v.gd/jrmGbS ). Thank you.