[LAD] new-session-management on jackaudio.org

rosea.grammostola rosea.grammostola at protonmail.com
Mon Apr 5 00:37:25 CEST 2021

> NSM's strict rules for client behaviour are what ensures that it will
> be able to perform as promised. Something similar was missing in all
> other Linux session manager systems I know of. So I'm very happy to
> see Jack-session deprecated.
>
> Just my 2e-2 Euro of course.

I think this is not about jack-session vs NSM. The last implementation of jack-session support in a application must have been years ago. Nobody knows what jack-session is and nobody is actively busy with it. A short explanation and a link to the NSM API on jackaudio.org would do. Note also that NSM is explicitly designed without a dependency to JACK.

I'm happy about the removal of the connections with linuxaudio.org, but I don't understand why they now link up with jackaudio.org. The fork is highly debated and currently, points of criticism and requests from the original author and others are still not fully honored, like the naming, the use of NSM abbreviation and such. I wouldn't want that discussion being moved to jackaudio.org, also not if I stood in their shoes. It's just not smart.

Somehow they need backup to get some authority apparently. We're the official NSM. One wonders why is the original NSM not hosted on jackaudio.org, or raysession or the next better session thing. Who is deciding this?

I'm much more a proponent of such projects being independent, certainly knowing the history of and discussion around this fork. Make sure your software is good enough to get noticed and used. Take full responsibility for it yourself. Give it a nice dedicated website. People will find it (and developers will find it via a weblink on jackaudio.org).

My 0.02 guilders.