[LAD] new-session-management on jackaudio.org

Filipe Coelho falktx at falktx.com
Mon Apr 5 09:09:18 CEST 2021

On 04/04/21 23:26, Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
> On 4/4/21 11:06 PM, Nils Hilbricht wrote:
>>> please read the subject line!
>>> it's about the new-session-management move to jackaudio.org and only.
>>> it is NOT about the merits, technical or otherwise, of session
>>> managers in general nor NSM in particular.
>>
>> Then let me rephrase:
>> Why should NSM not be hosted under jackaudio, since it is the session
>> manager for JACK programs?
>> The response to that was "because NSM is technically independent of
>> JACK" and my answer was in the previous mail.
>>

> allow me to kindly rephrase you:
> ... NSM ... is the *recommended* _session management_ for JACK programs!
> (note the distinction between "management" and "manager")
>
> and yes, I totally concur to that "NSM is technically independent of
> JACK".
>
> the thing that makes NSM so "JACK-friendly" is only about one separate
> utility/client program called "jackpatch"... nothing else technically
> relates NSM to JACK and vice-versa.

real honest, I don't see a "why not" answer from your reply here.

the biggest thing that sorta binds NSM and JACK together is people right
now using them together.
and afaik NSM being clearly made with that purpose in mind.
allowing to be used on non-jack setups is a bonus of its good design, I
would dare say a side-effect rather than the target.