[LAD] Phase rotation

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Aug 31 15:09:17 CEST 2021

On Tue, Aug 31, 2021 at 04:24:43AM +0200, Robin Gareus wrote:

> > Now don't believe that phase shifting a signal will always result
> > in a waveform with a lower peak/RMS ratio. It could very well
> > have the opposite effect.
>
> Well, there is a minimum. So far I just brute force detect it, trying
> all angles in 1 deg steps on a file.

Brute force indeed...

Now there is something else to consider. Using this method of course
makes complete fools of those listeners who have spent k$ on e.g.
speakers with a good transient resonse, or the recording engineers
who are using expensive mics for the same reason. In other words,
this really kills whatever snappy transient response you may have
had. And in some cases you *can* hear it quite clearly. Like
everything else in the loudness wars, it kills quality,

Ciao,

--
FA