[LAD] Quantise MIDI note/frequency to musical scale: algorithm?

Jeanette C. julien at mail.upb.de
Thu Dec 30 23:38:52 CET 2021

Hello Yuri,
thanks for your quick reply. -- Yes, simple mapping of one MIDI note to a
frequency is easy, and the environment in which I work offers built-in
converters for that.

But, how to best quantise chromatic notes to a given musical scale like C
minor or B Dorian? I would probably need some method to do it for both MIDI
notes and in frequencies.

Best wishes,

Jeanette

Dec 30 2021, Yuri has written:

> On 12/30/21 14:13, Jeanette C. wrote:
>> I'm currently working on something and need note/pitch quantisation to
>> predefined musical scales. Some research has almost entirely yielded such
>> features in DAWs and hardware modules that can do it.
>

> Isn't this mapping defined by a fixed logarithmic relationship? Wikipedia
> says that the C note is 261.63 Hz,
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/C_(musical_note), and every other note likewise
> is subject to the same formula.
>

> Yuri