[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

M. Edward (Ed) Borasky znmeb at znmeb.net
Thu Jul 1 01:11:47 CEST 2021

The biggest issue with Pipewire IMHO is that it does not support
Ubuntu 18.04 LTS. That will be a big obstacle to growth until 18.04 is
no longer supported, which is still about two years away. I don't know
what's involved in doing a backport, but I for one would use Pipewire
if it was working on 18.04.

On Wed, Jun 30, 2021 at 3:59 PM Robin Gareus <robin at gareus.org> wrote:

> On 7/1/21 12:48 AM, Yuri wrote:
> > Somebody said on GitHub that "Pipewire is the soon to be successor to
> > Jack/Pulseaudio".
>

> Yes, and ALSA as well to some extent. To applications pipewire looks
> like a running JACK server, or pulseaudio or like an ALSA device. So
> existing apps do not have to be changed.
>
> Search this list archives from 2018. There was a discussion of the
> framework.
>
> > Is Pipewire viewed like this by the wider community? Does anybody have
> > experience using it?
> >

> Yes, all Fedora 34 users, and some Arch'ers too. It comes up regularly
> on the Ardour forum in recent months, top 3: [1,2,3].
>
> There are still a few rough edges, but it matures quickly.
>
> --
> robin
>
> [1]
> https://discourse.ardour.org/t/has-anyone-experimented-with-pipewire-yet/104933
> [2]
> https://discourse.ardour.org/t/solved-is-there-a-simple-definitive-answer-to-getting-pipewire-fedora-34-to-play-nice/106059
> [3] https://discourse.ardour.org/t/god-save-pipewire/105691

Borasky Research Journal https://www.znmeb.mobi

Markovs of the world, unite! You have nothing to lose but your chains!