[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Jul 6 12:42:06 CEST 2021

On Tue, Jul 06, 2021 at 12:05:00PM +0200, Wim Taymans wrote:

> The pipewire daemon is meant to be small and modular. You could run
> a custom version of that with only what you want. It could possibly be
> smaller than jack.

Systemd started off like that as well... and now it has its tentacles
everywhere, and has become a nightmare to configure and for security.

Some questions:

* Will PW run without systemd, polkit, dbus ?
* Will it have a configuration that is fully controlled by the
  end user, centralised in one place, and that is protected from
  modification by just dropping files in some ***.d ?

> Is it more complicated? probably.. mostly the memory management and
> abstractions of the processing nodes.

> All of the desktop stuff (pulse-server) and autoconnect things
> (session-manager) are in separate processes that you don't need to run
> if you don't want to.

If this is going the work the same way as systemd I fear it will be
glorious pain to for the end used to remain in control.

--
FA