[LAD] Is Piperware a successor to Jack/Pulseaudio?

Tue Jul 6 19:21:21 CEST 2021

On 7/4/21 6:25 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> On 7/4/21 6:35 PM, John Murphy wrote:
>> On Wed, 30 Jun 2021 15:48:31 -0700 Yuri wrote:
>> [...]
>>> Does anybody have experience using it?
>>>
>>> https://pipewire.org/
>>
>> Yes. I've used it for a whole day now, on Linux Mint 20.1 Ulyssa base
>> (Ubuntu 20.04 focal). Everything seems to just work.
>
> Yes, the project is making huge progress. Also thanks to the many early
> adopters filing helpful issue reports. Wim and his team address them at
> incredible speed.
>
> If you use it, be prepared to live on the bleeding edge, e.g. until last
> week pipewire didn't set realtime permissions correctly, and the week
> before had a crashing bug with Ardour querying ports when 3rd party apps
> are involved. Fixed now.

Hmmm, yes, realtime is fixed now?? (it was returning hardwired
priorities (!) and was generally a mess). But part of the problem is
rtkit itself which will not let you do what you need to do if you know
what you are doing. Maybe now not using rtkit works fine.

I did a quick test last week and the results with ardour were bad (up to
date Fedora 34), for a complex session it would hang forever or crash.

And I have seen a big difference when using jacktrip - pipewire triggers
long dropouts when new clients connect, jackd is fine. So I suspect it
has (had?) long delays when compared to jackd when reordering the graph
when new clients connect or new ports get created. I still have to try
to debug this to get more data, time time time...

> So update early, update often

Yup...
(but so far for production I have to use jackd)

-- Fernando