[LAD] Whining

Filipe Coelho falktx at falktx.com
Wed Jul 7 11:04:14 CEST 2021

On 07/07/21 09:54, Louigi Verona wrote:
> Not a single complaint about systemd in this thread. In fact, I think
> systemd is the good guy here.

systemd is awesome and I can't imagine moving forwards without it!

(there broke the link again, talking back about systemd hehe)

But seriously, the way systemd manages boot scripts makes complete sense
on a multi-threaded system.
The complex dependencies of some services would be a very painful thing
to manage without it.
Then integration with libsystemd means custom written code can notify
when a service is truly ready.
For example, when dealing with jack one no longer needs "jack_wait -w",
jackd can notify the exact instance/time it is ready for use and
services that depend on jack can start nicely without needing hacks to
wait for startup.

People hate change, and also the complexities systemd brings (also being
monolithic).
Which is very understandable, but doesn't negate it has great points too.

As someone that had to do dev-ops and system adminstration, systemd is a
"god send" as they say.
Compared to the time I had to setup stuff on Alpine/OpenRC, systemd is a
bliss and don't want to go back anymore.