[LAD] Simple Pipewire test request

Dominique Michel dominique.c.michel at gmail.com
Fri Jul 9 11:35:43 CEST 2021

Le Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:52:18 +0100,
John Murphy <rosegardener at freeode.co.uk> a écrit :

> On Fri, 9 Jul 2021 09:29:09 +0200 Dominique Michel wrote:
> > On linux, the audio devices can be acceded by only 1 user at a time.
> > Which imply, instead of being root for everything audio related, I
> > would login as an user member of the audio group and, instead of
> > using cron, make a custom user script.
>
> Thanks, but if Pipewire is going to prevent access to audio devices by
> cronjobs, either accidentally or by design, then I'll be removing it.

That issue have nothing to do with pipewire, but with how the
kernel ALSA driver works. Which imply, instead of trying to workaround
normal kernel operations and user/group permissions, you must work with
them. It will be both much simpler and more reliable on the long run to
use a joe user member of the audio group, and instead of messing with
cron jobs which was never intended to be used to implement joe user
tasks, just make a joe user (bash-python-...) script that will implement
what you want to do.