[LAD] Programming LV2 plugin from scratch tutorial video series

Will Godfrey willgodfrey at musically.me.uk
Tue Oct 19 20:17:28 CEST 2021

On Tue, 19 Oct 2021 13:04:08 -0400
David Robillard <d at drobilla.net> wrote:

>On Tue, 2021-10-19 at 10:00 +0100, Chris Cannam wrote:
>> And, of course, URIs are just strings - the fact that they are
>> typically written with http at the start etc is just a namespacing
>> convention. The lv2 standard could have used
>> <e274923af6ffac82ad3f5beebb015380> instead of
>> <http://lv2plug.in/ns/lv2core#plugin> and it would still work.
>
>I've honestly thought a few times that maybe using a custom scheme
>would have been better.  It's objectively worse in every way, but the
>instant people see "http" they lose their damned minds for some reason
>:)
>
>C'est la vie...

I disagree.
Like many people, if I see what looks like a valid url, then that's what I
expect it to be, not some form of labelling. What is even worse, is when there
is a problem of some sort with a plugin, and host reports that the (apparent)
url doesn't exist!

Unless you know what this is you can waste a lot of time having been totally
misdirected. Speaking from experience :(

--
Will J Godfrey
https://willgodfrey.bandcamp.com/