[LAD] Programming LV2 plugin from scratch tutorial video series

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Tue Oct 19 21:12:20 CEST 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 01:00:24PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:

First of all, thanks to all who responded !

Hi David, long time no see...

> The reason you can't "just" use the short one everywhere is that they
> are not globally unique (being the whole point).

But why should it be globally unique ? Is a 'my-pluign.ttl' supposed
to have any meaning outside the context it is normally used in ?

I can't help but having the impression (which may be completely wrong)
that all these ontologies and the way they refer to each other are
somehow supposed to create 'meaning' out of nothing. Which I think is
an illusion - and a far more dangerous one than the one I referred to
earlier.

Reading all the ontologies that relate to e.g. LV2, the only reason
why I can understand and use them is because, being a audio engineer
and a programmer, I know what a 'plugin', 'host', 'port', etc. are.
Without that knowledge, there would be no meaning. And of course
one could add more and more and maybe even be able to somehow define
'plugin' while only referring to much more general concepts. But at
the lowest level one would always have to refer to something that
can understood just by itself.

Ciao,

--
FA