[LAD] Programming LV2 plugin from scratch tutorial video series

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Wed Oct 20 10:10:28 CEST 2021

On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 05:32:59PM -0400, David Robillard wrote:

> life is hard.

And complex, having real and imaginary parts.

> The only reason you can understand a C header that defines a struct
> with filter coefficients or whatever is the same.

True.

> What's the difference?

That C isn't trying to describe the entire world.

> If there's an impression here that somehow there is a machine-readable
> description of everything down to first principles that could be used
> to construct an implementation or whatever, that is /not at all/ the
> idea or intent.

Nor would it work (IMHO). But the impression is given that it would,
in particular when discussing the alleged advantages.

When some new plugin feature is defined, then in the end some human
programmer has to understand it using his/her domain-specific knowledge.
And if that is the intent, things could be a bit simpler. Even the very
restricted C vocabulary (and some common sense) would be enough.

A a programmer I like to avoid dependencies and keep things as simple
as possible, which probably explains why my brain goes in self-defence
mode whenever I try to get any closer to LV2... Please don't take that
personally, I'm very well aware of how useful LV2 has been to the
Linux Audio world.

I just can't help having the impression that most of the 'semantic
web' stuff is just a load of hype. And that is something I try to
keep my distance from.

Ciao,

--
FA