[LAD] installing python extensions

Marc Lavallée marc at hacklava.net
Mon Aug 15 23:14:17 CEST 2022

Le 2022-08-15 à 15 h 21, Fons Adriaensen a écrit :
> One (metric) unit of Eternal Gratitude to both of you.

One unit of "Fons Gratitude" is already a lot, but thanks (infinity / 2)
times!

> So
>> pip install .
> will install to ~/.local/lib
And when a virtualenv is activated, packages are installed in the ./lib
sub-directory of the virtualenv directory.

> while
>> sudo pip install .
> will install to /usr/local/lib
>
> I find the destination directory depending on who the user pretends
> to be a bit strange, but it works !
When installing with the root user, the default prefix is /usr/local
because /usr is usually managed by the system.

But it's possible to install in /root/.local/lib, using:
sudo pip install --user .

Or as the root user, to install to your home directory, try:
sudo su - fons pip install .

The --user option is (now) the default, except when installing as root.

> The only minor problem is that the sudo version leaves two
> directories (build and *.egg-info) that can only be cleaned up
> by root. No problem on systems that allow sudo everything, but
> I may keep the Makefile just to offer 'sudo make clean',
> assuming most system will allow this. Unless there is a
> cleaner solution.

That could be something simple like:

PY = env python3
PIP = env pip3