[LAD] A History of Audio on Linux somewhere?

Matt Flax flatmax at flatmax.com
Tue Feb 1 22:14:34 CET 2022

Back in 1999 and just before it was the crossover between ALSA and OSS.

I remember getting help from mailing lists as a newbie, just making your
first sound using C/C++ was difficult back then !

I don't know if this is the type of thing you are after, but this was my
developer focus back in those days ....

I produced two software packages which were very experimental and not
heavily used by others, you can see their original pages here (called
projects jumbled and dynamic) :

https://web.archive.org/web/19991104182532/http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~flatmax/dynamic/jumbled/jumbled.html

https://web.archive.org/web/19991104155359/http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~flatmax/dynamic/dynamic.html

Interestingly it may have been using OSS ? I can't quite remember.

The original "jumbled" software was a real time CD to MIDI wavetable
player. The big idea was to play your CDs streaming through the AWE 32's
RAM wavetable synthesiser. You could apply MIDI hardware effects, you
can actually still see the keyboard controls :
https://web.archive.org/web/20000416211019/http://www.cse.unsw.edu.au/~flatmax/dynamic/jumbled/jumbledCommands.html

It worked quite nicely, except for the fact that the RAM front side bus
was too slow to pipe 44100 Hz CD audio through the MIDI's RAM. This gave
the system a looping effect,  where the audio playback would loop a few
times before being reloaded with the next block of audio from the CD.
The looping gave it it's name "jumbled". You could trigger a few MIDI
keys and get the CD's audio played back at different pitches and also
overly the AWE 32's effects.

The next project was "dynamic" it simplified things to playing CDs
direct to the sound card. You can also see the sunsite.unc.edu listing,
with a sample mp3 up there. Project dynamic was unique in that it had
backwards blocking mode - where blocks of audio were read from CD
backwards, and also a reverse mode, where the blocks of audio were
reversed before being played.

http://www.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/apps/sound/cdrom/project.dynamic.lsm

Matt