[LAD] Potential GSoC projects

Roman Sommer lists at resonant-bytes.de
Thu Feb 17 22:19:08 CET 2022

Hi there,

My name is Roman, I'm studying Computer Science and I'd like to participate in the GSoC this year.
Also I'd like to do this in a linux audio related project if possible, because I want to help improve the Linux Audio world!

So if anyone here is part of or knows an organisation that would like to mentor a GSoC student and have them work on one of their projects, please let me know!

My background:
I'm a Master student in CS and my focus so far has been centered around operating systems (incl. kernel development), security, concurrency and (hard) real-time.
At the University I also took a few signals, systems and DSP courses, so I know what an LTI system is, how digital filters work and what a hilbert transform does.
To pay my rent and food I work part time as a repair technician fur electronic musical instruments and equipment and therefore have a background in electronics as well.
I'm also a passionate hobby musician and live mixing technician.

I know how to write C code that doesn't blow up. I'm familiar enough with C++ to get around comfortably.
Recently I started writing an 8-bit microcontroller emulator as a University project in Rust and so far I really like the language.
Python is also a very nice language in my opinion.
Audio related things I've written include python bindings for the jack dbus interface, a jack application managing tool to start/stop/mute applications via hardware buttons and used mididings to map MIDI CC to Sysex for my hardware synths.
I've also written a bit of FAUST code to create a number of effects I want to use.

A few ideas and fields I can imagine working on (non-exhaustive, no particular order):
  - Mididings backend for embedded devices
  - Polyrhythmic sequencing
  - Sysex integration in sequencers
  - Linux kernel work
  - Emulation of analog hardware (setBfree still needs a nice overdrive afaik ;) )
  - jack and/or pipewire

Something I'd really like to see someday is being able to sit down at (or stand up with) my Instrument and just jam and when I played something I like, I can go back to, say, 28s ago and extract a few bars and build a song from there.

Also I'd really like to hear your ideas and suggestions! :)

I'm really looking forward to your responses and hopefully a great collaboration as a result!
Feel free to ask any questions, as will I! ;)

Cheers,

Roman / etXzat