[LAD] pipewire

David Runge dave at sleepmap.de
Mon Jan 17 17:50:54 CET 2022

On 2022-01-17 14:56:30 (+0100), Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> I'd like to test pipewire as a replacement for Jack (on Arch),
> and have been reading most (I think) of the available docs.
>
> What is clear is that I will need to install the pipewire
> and pipewire-jack packages.
>
> And then ?

With the pipewire currently in [testing] it would even be the only thing
you need to do, as it replaces jack2 (or jack).
A good place to look for answers in regards to pipewire would be its
official wiki [1] and documentation [2].

Please note, that before pipewire-jack >= 1:0.3.43-4 is in [extra] you
will need to use pw-jack to run applications with pipewire's jack
implementation or override your ld.so.conf (see wiki on that [3]).

It should be moved this evening though and I'll try to update the wiki
afterwards to reflect this change.

> How do I tell pipewire to use e.g. hw:3,0 and make all of
> its 64 channels appear as capture/playback ports in qjackctl ?

I *think* you need to use the "Pro Audio" configuration for your
specific device to make that work.

> Note: I do not have anything PulseAudio (like pavucontrol)
> installed and don't want to either. If that would be a
> requirement then I'll just forget about using pipewire.

Pavucontrol would be one way of doing so. It's also possible via pw-cli
[4] (Wim Taymans gave that example on IRC - #pipewire on oftc.net is a
good resource too!).

Best,
David

[1] https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/home