[LAD] pipewire

Wim Taymans wim.taymans at gmail.com
Tue Jan 18 19:16:39 CET 2022

Hi Fons,

As a bare minimum you would need pipewire (the daemon) and
pipewire-jack (the libjack.so client implementation). With a custom
config file you can make this work exactly like jack (see below).

The way PipeWire normally works is that when starting the daemon,
nothing is in the graph. Devices are usually loaded into the graph
(using udev for ALSA, bluez5 for bluetooth, avahi for network devices,
...) by a session manager. We have a basic pipewire-media-session and
a more complete WirePlumber session manager. All the system
integration (dbus, systemd and the automatic stuff) happens in the
session manager. You don't need to run this.

For pulseaudio compatibility, you can also install and run a separate
server (pipewire-pulse). This basically just translates pulse protocol
to pipewire protocol and makes pipewire clients for streams. You don't
need to run this either.

You'll need the pipewire git version to run a minimal setup with only
pipewire using this config:
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/blob/master/src/daemon/minimal.conf.in
You can change the source and sink ALSA devices, set up the channels
and format and then use pipewire -c <config>
It should be enough to run all JACK apps to test things.

pw-top is interesting, pw-profiler works like the jack2 profiler,
pw-dump for a JSON dump of the object tree, pw-link (like jack_lsp,
jack_connect), etc...

Wim