[LAD] pipewire

John Murphy rosegardener at freeode.co.uk
Fri Jan 21 10:16:46 CET 2022

Working wonderfully well now, for me, as far as I've tested on a
hardware limited PC (Intel NUC -> Topping TP30). Amazing to be able to
run VLC into Alsa, PulseAudio or Jack, without changing anything else.
I even tried the OpenBSD output. Firefox audio always just works now.

Great to think that the quite tricky configuration of cloop/ploop etc.,
will soon be 'a thing of the past'.

Testing on virtual machines was no good although the Intel card worked.

I ended up using the 'PipeWire & WirePlumber & blueman-git PPA for Ubuntu
(>= 18.04)' after many attempts at the meson build. May be just down to a
CMake problem. Quoting meson-log.txt below.

I've found that Mint's Timeline works well and I'll be creating a snapshot,
before updating via the ppa.

My sincere thanks to all who have contributed to PipeWire (and all
Linux developers, of course). It's so good these days...

--
John.

Part of meson-log.txt about CMake:

CMake binary for 1 is not cached
CMake binary missing from cross or native file, or env var undefined.
Trying a default CMake fallback at cmake
Found CMake: /usr/bin/cmake (3.16.3)
Extracting basic cmake information
Try CMake generator: auto
Calling CMake (['/usr/bin/cmake']) in /home/john/pipewire-0.3.43/builddir/meson-private/cmake_ldacBT-enc with:
  - "--trace"
  - "--trace-expand"
  - "--no-warn-unused-cli"
  - "--trace-redirect=cmake_trace.txt"
  - "-DCMAKE_TOOLCHAIN_FILE=/home/john/pipewire-0.3.43/builddir/meson-private/cmake_ldacBT-enc/CMakeMesonToolchainFile.cmake"
  - "."
  -- Module search paths:    ['/', '/opt', '/usr', '/usr/local']
  -- CMake root:             /usr/share/cmake-3.16
  -- CMake architectures:    ['x86_64-linux-gnu']
  -- CMake lib search paths: ['lib', 'lib32', 'lib64', 'libx32', 'share', 'lib/x86_64-linux-gnu']
Preliminary CMake check failed. Aborting.
Run-time dependency ldacbt-enc found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Pkg-config binary for 1 is cached.
Determining dependency 'ldacBT-abr' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'
env[PKG_CONFIG_PATH]:
Called `/usr/bin/pkg-config --modversion ldacBT-abr` -> 1

CMake binary for 1 is cached.
Preliminary CMake check failed. Aborting.
Run-time dependency ldacbt-abr found: NO (tried pkgconfig and cmake)
Pkg-config binary for 1 is cached.
Determining dependency 'libfreeaptx' with pkg-config executable '/usr/bin/pkg-config'