[LAD] Pipewire help?

Len Ovens len at ovenwerks.net
Sat Jan 22 22:57:45 CET 2022

On Sat, 22 Jan 2022, John Murphy wrote:

> My QJackCtl Patchbay doesn't work any more and it's obvious there are
> new ways to get similar functionality with WirePlumber, but a little
> example would help. I seem to want to pipe the output of pw-link -l
> somewhere (pw-link -l | wireplumber --make_it_so).
>
> Need to always connect jack-play this way:
>
> $ pw-link -l
> alsa_output.usb-EDIROL_M-16DX-00.pro-output-0:playback_AUX0
>  |<- jack-play:out_1
> alsa_output.usb-EDIROL_M-16DX-00.pro-output-0:playback_AUX1
>  |<- jack-play:out_2
> jack-play:out_1
>  |-> alsa_output.usb-EDIROL_M-16DX-00.pro-output-0:playback_AUX0
> jack-play:out_2
>  |-> alsa_output.usb-EDIROL_M-16DX-00.pro-output-0:playback_AUX1

I think you can (via PW setup) change the name of your USB to
system:playback_1 (and 2) and then Qjackctl's patchbay might just work.

https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/pipewire/pipewire/-/wikis/Virtual-Devices#behringer-umc404hd-speakersheadphones-virtual-sinks

Change node.name to system and audio.position = [ FL FR ] to [ 1 2 ] etc.

I am not sure why PW, in it's JACK compatibility does not allow one of the
devices to be chosen as master and called system:* for compatibility with
all the JACK software out there... but it is what it is. I am sure someone
will come up with a configuring app(let) that does this better for
profesional audio use. To be honest, I am not really sure what optimal
would be.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net