[LAD] library soname, was Re: Rubber Band Library v3.0.0 released

Chris Cannam cannam at all-day-breakfast.com
Thu Jul 28 17:38:27 CEST 2022

On Thu, 28 Jul 2022, at 15:26, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> In this case you didn't just add a function, but a completely new and
> improved algorithm. That's reason enough to increment the major version,
> even if only for 'marketing'. And more so if you also offer a commercial
> license.

I guess you're right (and thank you also for the kind words earlier on this list by the way!)

It hadn't really occurred to me to think of the soname as marketing, but an increment does indicate novelty to humans as well as the machine. I am perhaps too invested in backward compatibility as the arbiter for this.

Chris