[LAD] installing python extensions

Fons Adriaensen fons at linuxaudio.org
Thu Sep 22 16:51:18 CEST 2022

On Thu, Sep 22, 2022 at 09:49:41AM -0400, Marc Lavallée wrote:

> Le 2022-09-22 à 03 h 56, Fons Adriaensen a écrit :
> >        error: invalid command 'bdist_wheel'
> It looks like wheel is not installed (locally or globally). Try installing
> it with "pip install wheel", or install it on the system (python3-wheel on
> Debian); it could be enough to fix the issue.

That was it, many thanks !

To it looked as if pip didn't know the bdist_wheel command, and indeed
pip help-commands didn't include it. No indication at all that something
else was missing...

The relations and dependencies between the various python tools - pip,
setup, wheel, ... remain a mistery to me, and there seems to be little
up to date documentation. Examples all assume you want to make a package
for the PPI and no other use cases...

> > Have things changed again ????
> Python is changing faster now, so testing on different versions is a good
> idea.

With Archlinux you always (only) get the latest and greatest :-)

Ciao,

--
FA