[LAT] To much latency

Dave Stikkolorum davers at dds.nl
Sun Oct 30 11:55:05 UTC 2011

On 30-10-11 12:25, Jeremy Jongepier wrote:
> On 10/30/2011 12:02 PM, Dave Stikkolorum wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I am a musician and programmer.
>>
>> I use a laptop with an internal soundcard (intel)
>> and ubuntu studo.
>>
>> When I see the qjack control settings window
>> I always see a 46.6 ms latency.
>>
>> On a older Desktop computer with an internal ac97 soundcard
>> or an pci sweex (cheap) I have the same problem.
>>
>> Reducing the sample period to 512 , reduces the latency, but
>> always ends up with problems.
>>
>> My question is how to have a good studio setup
>> for recording (and playing midi in the background)?
>>
>> Is it possible to better the performance with an external soundcard?
>> What are your experiences?
>>
>> I also tried ccma an av linux, but the same problems.
>>
>> Anyone suggestions?
>>
>> Regards,
>>
>> Dave Stikkolorum
>
> Hello Dave,
>
> 46.4ms is the default JACK latency (1024 frames / 44100 sample rate *
> 2 periods). You can try lowering it by reducing the number of frames.
> But if you get xruns then (buffer errors) then you may need to
> optimize your Ubuntu install. You might want to look here:
> http://wiki.linuxmusicians.com/doku.php?id=system_configuration
I certainly will read that, thnx!
> And it's possible to get better performance with an external
> soundcard, especially compared to onboard cards and specifically in
> the case of ac97 soundcards. The latter just refuse to work at lower
> latencies (at least for me). There are quite some soundcards available
> that yield good performance and that are compatible with Linux:
> http://wiki.linuxaudio.org/wiki/current_audio_gear

That sounds promising.

> For starters could you run cat /proc/asound/cards in a terminal on the
> laptop with the Intel soundcard?

cat /proc/asound/cards
  0 [Intel          ]: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
                       HDA Intel at 0xdb320000 irq 47

How much does the processor has influence.

For example I have a 1,8 Ghz Pentium 4 upstairs.

I would like to use both. (one portable studio and one upstairs)