[linux-audio-user] Any MIDI apps that don't suck?

linuxmedia4 at netscape.net linuxmedia4 at netscape.net
Wed Dec 4 15:56:01 EST 2002

Ross Vandegrift <ross at willow.seitz.com> wrote:

>> On Sat, Nov 30, 2002 at 03:03:31PM -0500, Silvan wrote:
>> Is it just me, or does the available software for this
>> kind of stuff really seriously suck?

> This is unfortunately what I've found.
(SNIP)
> music software - even the professional stuff I've used
> on Windows has plenty of sucky things about it. So I
> suggest you take a different
> tact, like I did.
(SNIP)
> this is a "bigger picture" suggestion.
(SNIP)
> Digital recording with ecasound, audacity, or even sox
> is a piece of cake.  Stop using MIDI - if you're not an
> electronica artist or a studio professional, it's way more
> trouble than it's worth.
> Since I started using MIDI less and less, I've started making
> music more and more.  I've seen it in a number of friends too.
> It doesn't seem like coincidence.

>Ross Vandegrift
>ross at willow.seitz.com

Thanks Ross. I'm moving in that same direction. But I must first
say that all my experience with midi has been with SuSE 6.4.
I just upgraded to SuSE 8.0. So (as far as I know) things could
have improved a lot since those days. But since the only programs
I can get to work are ecasound (multi-track recording) and RTSynth
(synthisyser) I'm not going to (at this time) invest time into
sequencing. I've come to the same place as you have (at least in
theory at this time) that I need to _start making music and stop
trying to be an electronic music expert_.

Currently I'm setting up an old 233MHz (32 megs ram) machine as a
dedicated synisyzer (RTSynth). The lack of ram doesn't seem to
effect it's usage. I will (as outlined on this list)
use fvwm2 (window manager) to auto-load RTSynth. Then I'm planning
on sending the line out to the line in of my (main) computer and
record to my ecasound tracks. No sync tracks. No sequencers. My
hope is to start making music (since I've been with linux for
2 years and have not finished one project).

I absolutly plan on getting into sequencing in the future. But I
just want to start making music. And besides, it will be fun to
create a dedicated synisizer that boots right into fvwm2
with everything loaded and ready to go. And I can make use of
machines like this in the future for other musicians

Oh my God, I'm sounding like a linux dude.

Rocco