[linux-audio-user] Clicking noises - how to get rid of?

Pauline Powledge pollyp at drizzle.com
Sun Dec 8 13:55:01 EST 2002

Greetings,

I am trying to convert some old cassette music to audio CD
format. I'm very new to Linux audio, mixers, and so forth,
and have some newbie-type questions to ask.

I'm running the 2.2.14 kernel with the ALSA drivers, version
5.12a, es1968 module, with an es 1978S soundcard. The problem I
have is that I get a loud, persistent, evenly-spaced clicking
sound in my input.

My mixer is set up with 100% volume, unmuted, and captured on
the MIC input, and 20% volume, unmuted, on the Input Gain.
Everything else is muted.

I have tried running ecasound with "-r -z:nointbuf", but that
doesn't seem to help. The dropouts are so consistent -- almost
like a metronome -- that I'm not inclined to think this is a
latency issue, so I doubt patching the kernel will work. I do
my recording with X Windows off and my 802.11B card out.

Does anyone have any suggestions about what I ought to try
next? When I searched the archive, I saw mention of a problem
of persistent clicking with another soundcard that was solved
by going from a 2.2 kernel to a 2.4 kernel. Is that a known
issue with other soundcards too?

Thanks in advance for any clues,

Polly