[linux-audio-user] Re-encoding Stereo mp3's into Mono mp3's

Patrick Shirkey pshirkey at boosthardware.com
Sun Dec 8 21:40:00 EST 2002

Steven P. Ulrick wrote:

> Thanks Guy for your speedy response :)  I had somewhat the same idea
> when I was on my way home earlier, and it works perfectly :)
>
> But I have an additional question: how can I type that command so that
> it will re-encode all the mp3's in the folder?  One time, when I tried
> using wild cards in coverting multiple mp3's into multiple wav's, I
> ended up with one 400+ meagabyte wav file, not multiple wav files.  I do
> need to add, though, that the 400+ megabyte wav file was perfectly
> usable, just, ahem, not very convenient to find songs in :) By copying
> and pasting I can make a REALLY long shell script to do the job, but I
> figure there has to be an easier way...

Something like this

  for i in *.mp3; do (lame -m m $i $i) done

--
Patrick Shirkey - Boost Hardware Ltd.
For the discerning hardware connoisseur

Being on stage with the band in front of crowds shouting, "Get off! No!
We want normal music!", I think that was more like acting than anything
I've ever done.

Goldie, 8 Nov, 2002
The Scotsman